Burn the Ships ... Again

I posted this song before, but I am loving this song right now!  So are my kids!

Burn the Ships by For King and Country  

(For the backstory, along with the song, click here.)

This song is about the wife of one of the singers struggling to break free from an addiction to anti-nausea medication following pregnancy.  About starting over and leaving the past behind.

But it can fit for so many people and the things we struggle with.

How I long to see people freed from the things that hold them hostage!  

My mom from her alcoholism.  My brothers from their atheism and agnosticism.  Friends and acquaintances from their damaged self-esteems, emotional struggles, health concerns, and broken relationships.  Me from my anxiety and fears about everything.  My church from the Calvinism that's taking over.  This country from its insanity, lack of decency, and lack of commonsense.  The world from its faithlessness.

How I wish we could all find the strength to "burn the ships," to leave the destructive and painful and sinful things behind, to start over again, filled with hope and peace and joy.  No shame about the past.  No fear of the future.  Eyes forward.  One day at a time.  Walking forward with the Lord in faith, regardless of how dark the path, how difficult the journey, and how many obstacles and setbacks we face.

Eyes forward.  Always forward.  Leaving the past behind, walking into a new day!

(As I was typing this just now, I got word that my 100-year-old grandma passed away this morning.  I believe she is now enjoying her "new day," putting this life in the past, entering the glorious world of heaven.  And I am so glad we got to see her last month.)  


"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free..."  (Luke 4:18)


"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.  The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  (Psalm 34:17-18)


"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."  (1 Peter 5:7)


"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  (2 Timothy 1:7, KJV


"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth."  (Psalm 145:18)


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  (Isaiah 41:10)


"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."  (Deut. 31:8)


“You will keep in perfect peace he whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” (Isaiah 26:3)



“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”  (Psalm 40:1-2)



“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”   (Isaiah 40:31



"The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who hope in your name will trust in you, for you, O Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you." 
(Psalm 9:9-10)


"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."  (1 Corinthians 10:13)


"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores me soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."  (Psalm 23:1-3)


"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."  (Psalm 23:4)



"But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head."  (Psalm 3:3)


"Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains."  (Psalm 107:13-14)


"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'"  (Lamentations 3:22-24)


"The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."  (Lamentations 3:25-26)



“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”  (Philippians 4:13)


“Be still and know that I am God.”  (My all-time favorite, Psalm 46:10)



Most Popular Posts of the Week:

Be Wary Of The Christian Post

My Panic Attack (repost)

Sermons by Tony Evans (repost)

Help for Anxiety, Depression, and Suicidal Thoughts

Do babies go to heaven or hell? A critique of Calvinism's answer

Calvinist Hogwash #4 (hell and justice)

She hit the nail on the head! Amen, come, Lord Jesus!

For my new friend who's struggling:

#5: Spiritual Loneliness, May 2017 (repost)

On this Good Friday