80+ Bible Verses for Spiritual Warfare

So I looked at the Sword of the Spirit and the power of using "It is written ..." in this earlier post.  But now I want to provide a bunch of verses to finish that sentence.  

When you face trials of various kinds, when you feel like Satan is throwing his fiery darts at you - darts of fear, despair, temptation, doubts, discouragement, etc. - say "It is written ..." followed by a Bible verse that fits.  And let God's Word help you in the battle.

If God's Word is truth and it's the truth that sets us free, why do we keep trying to do battle in our own strength and wisdom and resources?  

Go to God's Word!  Take it up as the sword it is.  And swing!

(Make the verses personal for you.  If it says "Your hope is in the Lord," say "My hope is in the Lord."  Apply God's Words to you personally and speak it out loud.  If speaking the Word is the best offensive weapon we have against evil - along with prayer - then we need to learn to use it.  How different might our lives and struggles be if we went right to God's Word and God's power first!)



Bible verses for spiritual warfare (ignore the random colors and font sizes, it wasn't intentional):



2 Timothy 1:7:  "For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  (KJV)  


1 Peter 5:6:  "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  


1 Peter 5:7:  "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."


Psalm 145:18:  "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth."



Isaiah 41:10:  "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."



Psalm 34:17-18:  "The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.  The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."



Deuteronomy 31:8:  "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


Romans 8:38-39:  "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."


Psalm 55:16-17:  "But I call to God, and the Lord saves me.  Evening, morning, and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice."


John 10:10:  "The thief [Satan] comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."


Romans 10:13:  "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."


Colossians 1:13-14:  "For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."



2 Corinthians 5:17:  "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"



Jeremiah 29:11:  "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"



Proverbs 3:5-6:  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."




Psalm 46:10:  “Be still and know that I am God.”  (My all-time favorite)




Ephesians 6:10-12:  “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.    


1 Peter 5:8-9:  “Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith …”  


James 4:7-8:  "Submit yourself, then, to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Come near to God and he will come near to you." 


2 Corinthians 10:3-4:  “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of this world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.”


Philippians 4:13:  “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”


Joshua 1:9:  “Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”


Isaiah 26:3:  “You will keep in perfect peace he whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.”


2 Corinthians 4:8-9: “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned, struck down, but not destroyed.”


Psalm 121:1-2:  “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”  


Psalm 40:1-2:  “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”


Psalm 62:5:  “Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.”


Isaiah 40:31:  “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” 


Colossians 3:23-24:  “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Jesus you are serving.”


Philippians 3:13:  “…Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead.  I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”


Hebrews 12:1:  Therefore, “. . . let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”   


Romans 8:28:  “And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”


1 John 4:4:  "Greater is he who is in me than he who is in the world."


2 Kings 6:16:  "Don't be afraid ... Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."


Romans 15:13:  "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."


Psalm 33:18:  "But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those who hope in his unfailing love."


Psalm 33:20-21:  "We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.  In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name."


Psalm 18:3:  "I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies."


Psalm 9:9-10:  "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who hope in your name will trust in you, for you, O Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you."


James 1:5:  "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."


Romans 8:1:  "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..."

Romans 8:2:  "... because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."


1 Corinthians 10:13:  "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."


Philippians 1:6:  "... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."


1 Corinthians 3:16:  "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?"



Ephesians 3:12:  "In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence."



1 Corinthians 13:4-8:  "Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails."



Galatians 5:22-23:  "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."



1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:  "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."


Colossians 3:2:
  "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."




Philippians 4:6-7:  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."



Proverbs 16:3:  "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."



Hebrews 11:1:  "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."



2 Corinthians 5:7:  "We live by faith, not by sight."



Joshua 24:15:  "... But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."



1 Corinthians 10:31:  "... whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."


Philippians 4:19:  "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."



Numbers 11:23:  "The Lord answered Moses, 'Is the Lord's arm too short?  You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.'"



1 Timothy 6:6:  "But godliness with contentment is great gain."


1 Timothy 6:10:  "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils."


Matthew 6:19-21:  "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."


2 Corinthians 12:9:  "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."


Psalm 91:1-2, 5-7:  "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' ... You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.  A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you."


Psalm 91:9-12:  "If you make the Most High your dwelling - even the Lord, who is my refuge - then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.  For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."


Proverbs 30:5: "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."


Psalm 55:22:  "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."




Psalm 19:1:  "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."


1 Chronicles 16:9:  "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."


Psalm 23:1-3:  "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores me soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."


Psalm 23:4:  "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."


Psalm 3:3:  "But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head."



James 4:10:  "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."



1 John 5:3:  "This is love for God: to obey his commands."


Matthew 6:14:  "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."


Matthew 7:3,5:  "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? ... You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."


Matthew 7:7:  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."


Matthew 7:6:  "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.  If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."


2 Timothy 4:3-5:  "For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.  Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.  They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.  But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist ..."


2 Timothy 4:18:  "The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom.  To him be glory for ever and ever.  Amen."


Proverbs 18:10:  "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."


Psalm 27:1:  "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?"


Psalm 27:13-14:  "I am still confident of this:  I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."


Psalm 107:1:  "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever."


Psalm 107:13-14:  "Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains."


Lamentations 3:22-24:  "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'"


Lamentations 3:25-26:  "The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."


Matthew 6:25-27:  "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?"


Matthew 6:27:  "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"


Matthew 6:33-34:  "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."





Maybe you want to compile a list of your own verses, ones that fit your struggle better.  Here are some links to look through, about "war rooms" and specific Bible verses.  Find you own "battle verses," write them down, post them on your wall, memorize them, and repeat them aloud when you need them.



37 Encouraging Bible Verses about God's Strength


War Room Resources (rosilindjukic.com)


How to Write a Prayer Strategy for Your War Room (rosilindjukic.com)


Praying Scripture (embracing.life)


my post: Praying Scripture: When You Fear You're Failing in Life



100 Bible verses about ...

Temptation

Anxiety

Fear







Doubt

Unhappiness

Despair



You can also do an online search.  Just type in something like "Bible verses about ____" and fill in the blank with your own issue or struggle.


As Tony Evans says in this sermon on the "Sword of the Spirit":  If we wonder why Satan keeps coming at us, it might be because he knows we'll never say "It is written ..."



[And if you are dealing with anxiety, discouragement, and sinful strongholds in your life, may I recommend some really good books from Neil T. Anderson (some have a coauthor): Victory Over The Darkness, Freedom From Fear, and The Bondage Breaker.  They are loaded with Scripture and biblical truth.  Just a couple weeks ago, I was beginning to feel anxiety rise up inside of me again.  And so I checked these out from our church library.  Reading the Scriptural truths in these books calmed my mind and filled me with hope.  I ordered my own copies online shortly after so that I could go back to them again and again.]

Most Popular Posts of the Week:

Calvinist Hogwash #3 (the reprobate)

Tony Evans Preaches on Prayer and God's Will

9 Marks of a Calvinist Cult: Conclusion and Links

A Must-Watch Debate (and a funny conspiracy)

List of Calvinist Preachers, Authors, Theologians, Websites, etc.

Why Is Calvinism So Dangerous? (updated)

Thing My Calvinist Pastor Said #3: Even Babies are Wicked

9 Marks of a Calvinist Cult #7 (thought-reform)

9 Marks of a Calvinist Cult #9 (authoritarian narcissists)

Links To Other Anti-Calvinism Posts