I found a lot more names to add to my list of known Calvinists (found in my various "How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist" posts). But instead of adding this huge list to all those posts, I am going to put it here, and I'll just provide a link on those posts to this one. [FYI: I added a note at the bottom of this post on May 5, 2021.] So here it is, a "master list" of known Calvinists to help you be careful and discerning about who you listen to and where you get your theology from. There are plenty more Calvinists out there, but these are just the names that I ran across the most. These are either definite, self-professed Calvinists or "most likely Calvinist," in my estimation. (I haven't heard of most of them, but it's good to know their theology before I do.) After finding these names in various places online, I looked up each person to see if they are Calvinist. If they did not self-identify ...
Here is Elizabeth's 13-minute-long testimony: "How I Came To Jesus (depression and anxiety), Part 1" . Of all the ones I've seen so far, hers is probably the most touching, deep, heartfelt one. My heart breaks for her. But it's a great testimony about how n o matter how hopeless life feels and how lonely you are, God is always there for you. As she says, no matter what hard trials life throws at you, “God is real. And He has me…. God cares.” She says that she feels like she's lived 30 lives already, and yet she's only 22. Wow! So much wisdom, heart, and goodness ... and in someone so young, too! And she not only has a beautiful, touching story to share, but she's also got a beautiful, touching voice too! Beautiful worship songs. God bless you and your ministry, Elizabeth! Thank you for opening your heart and life up to us!
Here is the tiniest-I-could-make-it version of "Fending Off Calvinism (a.k.a. Destroying Calvinism in 28 Easy Steps)" (from my other blog) - which itself is the second half of a post called "Calvinism's Systematic Theology (and how to fend it off)" - about the fundamental errors of Calvinism that trap well-meaning Christians into a very bad, very deceptive, very tricksy theology. I cut out as much as I could here, so check out the longer posts in the links above if you want a fuller picture and more information. [Despite the title of this post, I know there's nothing easy about defeating or debating Calvinism. It's such a tangled web of errors, with a cult-like vice-grip on people's minds, that it can't be defeated with just a few verses or rebuttals. Its errors are so complex, interconnected, and deep-rooted that it needs to be completely dismantled idea by idea, wrong definition by wrong definition, misinterpreted verse by misinterpreted...
Here is the short, simple testimony of a former Calvinist from Australia, Steven Hitchcock, author of Recanting Calvinism . I have not read his book, but there are some really good, concise points in this post. Such as when he talks about the problems with Calvinism's view that God has a hidden Will which undermines and contradicts His revealed Will. As he points out, if we accept the idea that God has a secret Will that can override what He says in the Bible, then no one can know anything for certain. If Calvinism is true that God can say one thing but mean another - such as saying He loves all people and wants all people to be saved but He really hates most people and predestines them to hell - then why can't He say (as Calvinists believe) that He elects some people to salvation ... but He's really elected no one at all? If He can't be trusted to say what He means and mean what He says in the Bible, how can Calvinists...
Who would've thought that "encouraging each other in the Lord" would take the form of two hours of telling each other, "Yep, that crap's hard!"? - A text I got from a friend after a long conversation about the trials we've been through, the heartaches we've known, and how difficult life can be sometimes. It made me smile!
This is point #5 from "Problems in John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion" : Calvin manipulates people into agreeing with him in subtle ways: reminding us of how small our minds are, how incapable we are of comprehending God and how God works (after, of course, teaching us all about his own grand, inspired ideas of who God is and how God works), and telling us that if we resist believing what he says, it's because we are rebellious or small-minded. Calvinists do this same kind of thing today. They get you to agree with them (or at least to shut up if you disagree) by convincing you that you simply don't - can't - understand what the Bible really says and so you just have to trust them, that you are questioning God if you question them, that you are being proud and unhumble if you disagree with them, etc. (See " Predestination Manipulation" and "What's The Best Way To Make People Agree With Your Calvinist Views" an...
This "giggle translate" is about my relationship with one of my brothers (I did two translations, just for fun). You know what, I'm gonna put the translated versions first and then the original paragraph of what really happened. This way, you can read the translations first and try to figure out what really happened, and then see how right or wrong you are. Here goes: Translated version #1 ( After running my original paragraph through several languages with Google Translate) : Why hasn't one of my relatives loved me so much when we had so much fun and children? We ate our table very quickly, and we got a reply within five seconds, but I did or ate so much that we ate less than half an hour later while watching. Oh how beautiful! The time has come when he may exchange fivepence when he asks, because he was more than fivepence. And I extend it to meenie-miney-moe, so it always has to be "he" (so he has the power of blaming me but "I told him he alw...
I didn't think I'd be so moved by this, but I was. Check out this cell-phone choir sing "It Is Well With My Soul" during this time of coronavirus chaos and social-distancing. Not only is it a beautiful a cappella rendition of the song, but it's a great reminder that the church can survive times of crisis, social distancing, and isolation. There are always ways to pull together and encourage each other, even at times like this. Because Church isn't a building; it's a people. And this song isn't just a bunch of empty words about convincing yourself you're at peace during times of great trial and heartache. It wasn't written by someone who doesn't understand, by someone offering lame Christian platitudes or pathetic pat answers for pain. For anyone who doesn't know the story behind this song, the tragic events that led Horatio Spafford to write it, click here . This song was written from a heart that understands. We ...
(Oh, how we love nonsense in our country!) We women are fighting so hard to be like men, to downplay femininity, to be perceived as more masculine, to overtake any "men's realm" we find. Because it’s “cool” and “progressive” and “strong.” But do we not realize that we are not “leveling the playing field” so much as we are destroying ourselves , the things that make women special? Women can be strong, too. And they don’t have to be like men to do it. Trust me, I know. I've had four children, one by c-section and three by natural, drug-free homebirth (with over 15 hours of labor for each one). And then I work in the home every day, all day long. No pay. No vacation time. No weekends off. No bonuses. No overtime pay. But I do it because my family and I value my position, my role. Even if the world doesn't. W e women can be strong and capable and accomplished in our...
(Repost, with some additions) Some people have a lot of trouble accepting the idea that God would rapture the church out but leave everyone else to go through the tribulation. They think it is heartless and cruel of Him. I, however, think that a pre-trib rapture is the most merciful thing God could do. In the movie Left Behind (with Nicolas Cage), a young woman who missed the rapture looks around at all the pain and heartbreak and devastation ... and she screams out about how the loving God her mother worshipped would never cause something as tragic as that to happen. He would never take people away and let others be left behind to face the troubles of the tribulation. Or would He? The thing is, I think a pre-trib rapture shows just how loving and merciful and patient He is, how much He wants everyone to come to Him. [And I have to ask ... If God created a way for us to be saved ... ... if He Himself, out of ...