A short, powerful testimony from Korn's lead singer, Brian Welch (8 minutes). No one is beyond the reach of God's grace and love, of forgiveness and healing.
(This is taken from How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist , with some additions at the bottom. Remember that this is only my opinion, my assessment, and my suggestions, based of what I've learned about Calvinism so far.) A church's Statement of Faith tells you a lot about the theology of that church. But some Calvinist churches are careful to hide their Calvinist views because they know it's controversial and might scare people off. So they might be very careful with their wording and will not clearly identify themselves as "Calvinist" or "Reformed." Sometimes it takes reading between the lines - being able to identify the "covert Calvinism" - to know if the church is Calvinist or not. 1. First off, pay attention for one or more of these kinds of words and phrases: election, predestination, decree, ordains or fore-ordains, sovereignty or sovereign control, "doctrines of grace," covenant theology, reforme...
[I redid Point #5 and #6 in the Alana L. series on my other blog (and re-lettered the posts). But instead of going back and changing the already-posted points on this blog, I'll just add the posts in their own little "series."] Point #5 still : P: "Sovereign, sovereign, sovereign, sovereign." Natural vs Moral On a slightly different track: If you listen closely when Calvinists talk about God's "sovereign control" over things, they'll often emphasize His control over nature, even bringing up verses about it. And since we agree that God caused/controlled something like a storm or famine or illness at some point in biblical history, Calvinists will then make us think that we must also agree that He causes/controls human decisions and moral evils too. That if we accept one, we must accept the other. Vincent Cheung ( The Problem of Evil ): " God controls not only natural events , but he also controls all human aff...
[Here's the tiniest version of my "But predestination!" post. The short version with more memes and quotes and information can be found here , and t he longest version (a series of posts full of many more Calvinist comments, my Calvinist ex-pastor's sermons, and my replies to them, written for my own amusement and for my ex-church) can be found by starting here . But this tiny version includes only the most basic parts you need to know, with a few memes and quotes thrown in to spice it up and prove my points. (I know this could be much tinier, but Calvinism has so many bunny trails, so many interlocking ideas, that it's hard to address one part without addressing more. So this is as comprehensively tiny as I dared to make it.) ] At the heart of Calvinism is predestination and God's sovereignty (among other things, like "total depravity"), which according to Calvinism essentially amounts to: "God preplans and controls everything, even sin ...
From Hoppers Crossing Christian Church, here are some interesting, thought-provoking questions that Calvinists can't satisfactorily answer, and this should make any thinking person doubt the legitimacy of Calvinism. [However, remember that Calvinist leaders don't really want you going around "thinking" too much, contemplating these conundrums. That's why they always resort to "Well, we can't understand it, so we just have to accept it. If you question this, then you're questioning God. You only have three options about what I'm telling you: ignore it, get angry about it, or accept it. And humble people have no problem accepting it and submitting themselves to God's sovereignty (hidden meaning: 'submitting themselves to MY view of God's sovereignty')." This sounds more like a cult leader than a godly, Spirit-filled church-leader.] Impossible Questions for Calvinists, Part 1 Impossible Questions for Calvinists, Part 2...
Two powerful mini-sermons from Billy Graham (even though I've been a believer over 30 years, they still hit me deeply): One Of The Most Powerful Videos You'll Ever Watch (5 minutes long) The Speech That Broke The Internet - Most Inspiring Ever (11 minutes long)
(FYI: There will be lots of posts on Calvinism coming up in the next months, with some non-Calvinism ones sprinkled in between.) I updated my comment on the R.C. Sproul Jr. quote in my post "But Calvinists don't say God causes sin and evil!" (which, incidentally, was featured in a "reddit reformed" post ) . And as usual, I made it much longer, adding more quotes (quotes I've posted in other places, so feel free to skip them if you've read them before). But it's important stuff, the bottom-line of Calvinism (which is why I want them all together in one place and why I re-quote them often, as needed - because Calvinists' own words make the best case against them). And I figured I'd repost my new comment here, too, because it's a whole post all on its own. (Also see my post Thank you, reddit/reformed. I'm honored! ) 1. R.C. Sproul Jr. (Almighty Over All) : “God wills all things tha...
(For full version of this Bible study "lesson," click here . But to be honest, I can't really shorten this one too much because this topic is so immense and complicated. So this is still pretty long.) Imagine that I walk into your church and say, “I am taking a group of people on a trip with me. We are leaving sometime soon, and you have to decide which group you’ll be part of: the one that goes or the rest that stay behind. I have a destination picked out and a way to get there. I’ve already paid the price to take everyone in this room with me, if you choose to go. And I am now asking for those who want to go. It’s up to you if you want to come or be left behind. But if you do not deliberately choose to come with me, you will be left behind.” This, in essence, is my view when it comes to the whole "predestination ...
(I added some new notes to the end of this post, August 23, 2020.) Here's a video from Beyond the Fundamentals that's well-worth watching: Are Calvinists Saved? The most thought-provoking part (for me) was when he asks (paraphrased) "How do Calvinists know they're saved, that Jesus died for them?" You see, I would say that I trust in the truths of the Bible. I trust that when God says He loves all people and wants all people to be saved, He means He loves all people and wants all people to be saved. I trust that when He says Jesus died for all people and all sins, He means that Jesus died for all people and all sins. I trust that when He says that we will find Him if we seek Him with all our hearts, He means that we can seek Him and find Him. I trust that when He commands us to choose whom we will serve, He means that we have to choose whom we will serve. I trust that when He ...
[I redid Point #5 and #6 in the Alana L. series on my other blog (and re-lettered the posts). But instead of going back and changing the already-posted points on this blog, I'll just add the posts in their own little "series." Some of this stuff is in the already-published posts on this blog, but a lot is new and/or changed. FYI: I've already got the posts in this series preset to be published every other week up into late 2026. So there will be a long series of posts about Calvinism coming up, but with some non-series/non-Calvinism posts thrown in now and then for variety or fun.] Point #5: K : "Sovereign, sovereign, sovereign, sovereign." Hahaha, Alana nailed this one! And as she said, "What many new Calvinists don't understand, and what they'll learn little by little by little - because if they were told this in the beginning they probably would catch on a little too quick and not follow the path [Bi...