A New Name

Yesterday, I posted a list of 250 Questions to Ask God.  I've asked Him a few of these questions so far, sometimes not getting any answer at all.  But I want to share about one answer I did get.  One that makes me smile when I think of it.  


One morning, I was sitting there in prayer and looking at this list of questions to see which I should ask.  And I found this one, “Do You have a new name for me?”  That question seems so huge to me, so exciting to think that maybe God would have a meaningful name picked out for me that He might share with me.  (It also seemed a little silly to ask.  And a little scary ... because I might learn how God really saw me.)  


And so I prayed, “Lord, do You have a new name that You want to give . . .”  And even before I could finish the sentence, a name popped into my head.  It didn’t just vaguely float to the surface; it POPPED.  


And I have to admit, I was rather shocked.  I know God answers prayer and I am learning to discern His voice over my own thoughts; but I was surprised that it happened so quickly.  And funny enough, I was a little disappointed.  I didn’t expect it to be over so soon.  I thought that I would sit quietly with that question in prayer for a few minutes, the anticipation building, until God revealed the name to me.  Like opening a present on Christmas morning.  But – boom – there it was.


I knew that this name wasn’t from my own thoughts, because I hadn’t even been thinking about it.  I wasn’t even ready for it.  I hadn’t even finished my prayer.  And so considering all of that, I knew that this was the name God wanted to give me.  And it just so happened to be the name of a plant that I have always loved.  But I never would have pictured myself with that as a name.  It is much too frilly and fluffy and, frankly, ditzy for me.  It didn’t fit.  It wasn’t “me.”  While I loved this plant, it was a little bit of a disappointment and a wonder that this was how He saw me. 


And so I began trying to think about why God might have picked that name.  I began to explore the qualities and characteristics of that plant.  Maybe this name means that I am resilient like this plant?  Maybe God thinks I can bounce back easily?  Maybe it’s because it stands straight and tall?  On and on I went, thinking of how this name might fit me.  (None of which did seem to fit.)  


When I couldn’t come to any satisfactory explanation, I decided to pray about it.  “Lord, why did You give me this name?  What does it mean?”  And when I didn’t get an answer, I prayed it again.  


While the name came to me very quickly, the explanation did not.  I ended up praying this prayer for about two weeks before God answered it.


One morning, I was sitting in the car waiting to pick someone up when this prayer popped into my head again.  I had just about given up on the idea that God would give me special insight into this name, but I decided to pray again. 

 
“Lord, I know that this plant is really nothing special.  It’s actually more like a glorified weed.  But ... I don’t know why ... it just means so much to me anyway.  I just delight in it so much and it brings me so much joy.” 


And that’s when the answer hit me.  It wasn’t a voice or anything, but the clear sense that God was speaking this message to my heart and mind:


“Exactly!  The way you feel about this plant is how I feel about you.  You bring me so much joy and I delight in you so much.  You are My fill in plant name here!”  (I’m just saying “plant” here because I feel like the name is really just between me and God.  It means too much to me to share it with others.)


Since then, I have often thought fondly of this plant.  And every time I see one or a picture of one, I smile.  Because I am reminded of God’s love for me and that I mean something to Him, even if I usually feel like I’m “nothing special, just a weed, really.”  So even if God never answers another of these questions for me, this one answer has so enriched my days and my life.  


Most Popular Posts of the Week:

My Panic Attack (repost)

Be Wary Of The Christian Post

Sermons by Tony Evans (repost)

Help for Anxiety, Depression, and Suicidal Thoughts

Calvinist pastor pulls back the curtain on Easter morning, ruining childhoods everywhere

For my new friend who's struggling:

Spiritual Warfare: Satan's Schemes #9 (bitterness, unforgiveness)

Is Yoga Ok For Christians? (Here's a hint: It's not!)

Is God Drawing Lines in the Sand?

Why Is Calvinism So Dangerous? (updated)