I found a lot more names to add to my list of known Calvinists (found in my various "How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist" posts). But instead of adding this huge list to all those posts, I am going to put it here, and I'll just provide a link on those posts to this one. [FYI: I added a note at the bottom of this post on May 5, 2021.] So here it is, a "master list" of known Calvinists to help you be careful and discerning about who you listen to and where you get your theology from. There are plenty more Calvinists out there, but these are just the names that I ran across the most. These are either definite, self-professed Calvinists or "most likely Calvinist," in my estimation. (I haven't heard of most of them, but it's good to know their theology before I do.) After finding these names in various places online, I looked up each person to see if they are Calvinist. If they did not self-identify ...
Here is the tiniest-I-could-make-it version of "Fending Off Calvinism (a.k.a. Destroying Calvinism in 28 Easy Steps)" (from my other blog) - which itself is the second half of a post called "Calvinism's Systematic Theology (and how to fend it off)" - about the fundamental errors of Calvinism that trap well-meaning Christians into a very bad, very deceptive, very tricksy theology. I cut out as much as I could here, so check out the longer posts in the links above if you want a fuller picture and more information. [Despite the title of this post, I know there's nothing easy about defeating or debating Calvinism. It's such a tangled web of errors, with a cult-like vice-grip on people's minds, that it can't be defeated with just a few verses or rebuttals. Its errors are so complex, interconnected, and deep-rooted that it needs to be completely dismantled idea by idea, wrong definition by wrong definition, misinterpreted verse by misinterpreted...
Point #5 still (updated): Q: "Sovereign, sovereign, sovereign, sovereign." Robots? As I said in the last post, I believe that God gave us free-will and an awful lot of room to make real decisions that affect things - because He wanted real people, real relationships, not robots. "Oh, but we don't think people are robots controlled by God," says the Calvinist. Oh, really? Then I must have misunderstood: John Calvin ( Institutes of the Christian Religion, book 1, chapters 16-17, bold added in all quotes ): " ... the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined .... the devil, and the whole train of the ungodly...[cannot do any evil or even move a finger] unless in so far as [God] permits - nay, unless in so far as he commands . " John Calvin ( Concerning the Eternal Predestination of God ): “ ... how foolish and frail [it...
For some "fun" songs from my younger years: "Some Carman Songs for Halloween" And here is a bunch of links about Spiritual Warfare, from my post called "War Rooms, Praying Scripture, and Spiritual Warfare": I strongly believe that there are angels and demons. That prayer matters. That there is a spiritual battle going on around us all the time ... and that we need to get involved in it, actively and consciously. (Something I haven't been doing lately.) Regardless of if we want it or not, we are constantly facing spiritual battles. But if we don't acknowledge them - if we stick our head in the sand and refuse to get involved, to put on our spiritual armor, to use the spiritual weapons that are available to us - we open ourselves up to deceptions, to defeat, to being very vulnerable to the strategies and attacks of the evil one. What I have done here is compile a list of posts on spiritual warfare, on praying Scripture, and on creating a War Ro...
(Part of the "Predestination vs. Free-Will" series) Maybe y ou've wondered this ... "Isn’t it the Holy Spirit’s job to convict people and draw them to God? Aren’t we 'dead people' before the Spirit wakes us up, unable to even think about God or seek God because “dead people” can’t do anything? And so we need the Spirit to make us become believers? Isn’t there a verse about Him opening people’s minds so that they can understand God’s truth? So if He doesn’t draw someone and doesn’t open their minds, then they cannot become saved? Isn’t it His job to save people? I would answer this way: Yes and no. I used to think this was the case - that if the Holy Spirit didn’t open your eyes, you would not be able to come to God. That basically, the Holy Spirit decided who to “enlighten” and who to leave ignorant of God. And I guess, then, that if you wanted someone to become a Christian, you would have to pray, “Lord, make so-and-so b...
[Reposted from my other blog, from January 2016. This comes shortly after the "Wrestling With God" post, the summer when I found myself utterly discouraged by life, by gardening. When it seemed like one thing after the next just kept going wrong. This was my call to hope again. Update: I mentioned in the last post that my mom is currently trying to drink herself to death. I got a call last night that she was found unconscious at a friend's house after drinking since 10 a.m. that morning and taking a bunch of Librium. They called me last night to tell me that she was in the hospital with a blood alcohol level of 375, unconscious, and not breathing on her own. (A couple days ago, she went in with level of 400.) They had to put tubes in her lungs to keep her alive. It's the fourth time, they said, that the ambulance was called on her in about a week. I tell ya, it seems almost supernatural that she hasn't died yet....
(I added some new notes to the end of this post, August 23, 2020.) Here's a video from Beyond the Fundamentals that's well-worth watching: Are Calvinists Saved? The most thought-provoking part (for me) was when he asks (paraphrased) "How do Calvinists know they're saved, that Jesus died for them?" You see, I would say that I trust in the truths of the Bible. I trust that when God says He loves all people and wants all people to be saved, He means He loves all people and wants all people to be saved. I trust that when He says Jesus died for all people and all sins, He means that Jesus died for all people and all sins. I trust that when He says that we will find Him if we seek Him with all our hearts, He means that we can seek Him and find Him. I trust that when He commands us to choose whom we will serve, He means that we have to choose whom we will serve. I trust that when He ...
(Part of the "Predestination vs. Free-Will" series) John 6:37 : “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.” This one confused me for awhile. It sounded like Jesus is saying that all the people that God has pre-chosen to be believers are destined to come to faith in Him. And that only those who are chosen by God will come to faith. But I’m not sure if that’s what this is really saying.
I've scattered bits of my story all over my blogs, but I’m gonna pull it all together here, about how I became a believer and some things I’ve gone through and how my faith has been affected. (I’ll include links to posts where I explain things more fully.) Starting the journey: I became a believer when I was eleven years old. (I am now getting close to 50. I don't know how that happened. ) At a Christian camp, on one of the last nights, they gave an altar call. I wanted to go up but was nervous about standing up in front of everyone. But being more nervous about the window of opportunity closing, I felt myself stand up and walk to the front. I knew exactly what I was doing, that I was making a commitment for life. And I meant it. I really meant it. I knelt down, asked Jesus into my heart, and have never turned back. It hasn’t been an easy, carefr...
(Reposted from my other blog.) I’ve always found the statements of “I want the Lord to do whatever He wants in my life to bring Him the most glory possible, even if it means bringing me pain” to be inspirational … and a bit “off.” Wh en I was 21 (half my lifetime ago), I went to Papua New Guinea for a summer on a mission trip. And I told my mom that I picked PNG over any other place because it was so remote and primitive. I said that I wanted to have everything taken away to really challenge me, to grow my faith in new ways. And I meant it. I really did. My heart was in the right place. But my mom said something wise, something that stuck. She said, “Don’t ask for that! Never ask for that! Because He could take away everything – your legs, your eyesight, your health, your home, etc.” Wow! So true. As I thought about it, I realized that I didn’t really want God to do...