I just found this YouTube channel that takes deep dives into The Lord of the Rings, and I'm really enjoying it: The Sundered Age I've only seen two videos so far, but they are insightful, profound, and quite touching. If you are a massive LOTR fan like I am, check them out and see what you think. Here are the two I watched: Why Galadriel Was the Most Dangerous Person in Middle earth | LOTR Lore Gandalf Would Have Been Worse Than Sauron! | LOTR Lore These videos aren't from a Christian perspective or anything (at least I don't think so), but it still relates in my mind, illustrating how wise and good God is to create people with free-will, instead of dominating everyone with His sovereign control. (And at the same time, it illustrates how wrong it is for the Calvinist god to deny people true free-will, to control our wills so that we can only think and do what he decrees us to do.)
I found a lot more names to add to my list of known Calvinists (found in my various "How to Tell if a Church, Pastor, or Website is Calvinist" posts). But instead of adding this huge list to all those posts, I am going to put it here, and I'll just provide a link on those posts to this one. [FYI: I added a note at the bottom of this post on May 5, 2021.] So here it is, a "master list" of known Calvinists to help you be careful and discerning about who you listen to and where you get your theology from. There are plenty more Calvinists out there, but these are just the names that I ran across the most. These are either definite, self-professed Calvinists or "most likely Calvinist," in my estimation. (I haven't heard of most of them, but it's good to know their theology before I do.) After finding these names in various places online, I looked up each person to see if they are Calvinist. If they did not self-identify ...
[Reposted from my other blog, from January 2016. This comes shortly after the "Wrestling With God" post, the summer when I found myself utterly discouraged by life, by gardening. When it seemed like one thing after the next just kept going wrong. This was my call to hope again. Update: I mentioned in the last post that my mom is currently trying to drink herself to death. I got a call last night that she was found unconscious at a friend's house after drinking since 10 a.m. that morning and taking a bunch of Librium. They called me last night to tell me that she was in the hospital with a blood alcohol level of 375, unconscious, and not breathing on her own. (A couple days ago, she went in with level of 400.) They had to put tubes in her lungs to keep her alive. It's the fourth time, they said, that the ambulance was called on her in about a week. I tell ya, it seems almost supernatural that she hasn't died yet....
I've scattered bits of my story all over my blogs, but I’m gonna pull it all together here, about how I became a believer and some things I’ve gone through and how my faith has been affected. (I’ll include links to posts where I explain things more fully.) Starting the journey: I became a believer when I was eleven years old. (I am now getting close to 50. I don't know how that happened. ) At a Christian camp, on one of the last nights, they gave an altar call. I wanted to go up but was nervous about standing up in front of everyone. But being more nervous about the window of opportunity closing, I felt myself stand up and walk to the front. I knew exactly what I was doing, that I was making a commitment for life. And I meant it. I really meant it. I knelt down, asked Jesus into my heart, and have never turned back. It hasn’t been an easy, carefr...
Here is Elizabeth's 13-minute-long testimony: "How I Came To Jesus (depression and anxiety), Part 1" . Of all the ones I've seen so far, hers is probably the most touching, deep, heartfelt one. My heart breaks for her. But it's a great testimony about how n o matter how hopeless life feels and how lonely you are, God is always there for you. As she says, no matter what hard trials life throws at you, “God is real. And He has me…. God cares.” She says that she feels like she's lived 30 lives already, and yet she's only 22. Wow! So much wisdom, heart, and goodness ... and in someone so young, too! And she not only has a beautiful, touching story to share, but she's also got a beautiful, touching voice too! Beautiful worship songs. God bless you and your ministry, Elizabeth! Thank you for opening your heart and life up to us!
Motherhood: It's not just something to do while you wait for a "real job" to come along. Motherhood IS the job - the job that matters most. Pour your heart into it. Give it your all, your best. "Just a mom" is an incredible privilege and a blessed responsibility. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Y ou might feel like you don't mean much to the world, but you can bet that you mean the world to your children! Make choices that honor their love for you, that show how much you value your children and your role as the only mother they have. I am proud to be a mother!
I bet a lot of people can relate to Jessica and her story (30 minutes): "Atheist to Christian Testimony: How God Saved Me" I like her honesty. And I agree with her that the rapture is soon, that time is short. And so I appreciate that she's sharing her testimony in the hopes that she can reach as many people as possible before the Church is gone. [ Update : While I like and recommend her testimony video and the one on spiritual warfare, I am leery of the current ones she's posting about dreams and prophetic messages. I am very wary about that kind of stuff, especially when it's about earthly blessings or opportunities. Personally, I'd stay away from (or at least be very cautious and discerning about) messages and promises that come from other people, since they are not directly from God or His Word. Anytime we get our messages from other people, we can be led astray.]
(Repost, with some additions) Some people have a lot of trouble accepting the idea that God would rapture the church out but leave everyone else to go through the tribulation. They think it is heartless and cruel of Him. I, however, think that a pre-trib rapture is the most merciful thing God could do. In the movie Left Behind (with Nicolas Cage), a young woman who missed the rapture looks around at all the pain and heartbreak and devastation ... and she screams out about how the loving God her mother worshipped would never cause something as tragic as that to happen. He would never take people away and let others be left behind to face the troubles of the tribulation. Or would He? The thing is, I think a pre-trib rapture shows just how loving and merciful and patient He is, how much He wants everyone to come to Him. [And I have to ask ... If God created a way for us to be saved ... ... if He Himself, out of ...
Amen to this: Can We Talk About Toxic Femininity? (If that link doesn't work, try this: https://www.dailywire.com/news/mcallister-can-we-talk-about-toxic-femininity-denise-c-mcallister ) Fair is fair! And it's about time people start talking about this. I am so sick of the "toxic feminism" that's out there, doing so much damage to our country, families, relationships, laws, etc. And now it's seeking to destroy men and boys, to make them ashamed to be men, to feminize them. So I am happy to see more and more people calling out women - feminism - for the problems they're causing. In so many ways, feminists need to just sit down and shut up! Before they tear our country apart! Instead of seeing men become more feminine, I'd rather see men "man up." To all the good men out there: I like and respect you for the men you are! Don't let the girls bully you! Sometimes satire says it best: Striking Blow Against To...
I think I stumbled upon the perfect "If They Mated ..." scenario for who I look like and how I act. (You know, when they take two people and morph their faces into one to show what their offspring would look like if they mated.) I wasn't trying to figure this out or anything; it just came to me as I was watching The Hobbit recently. And once I saw it in my mind, I couldn't unsee it. Then after I thought about possibly sharing it with all of you, my mind won't let it go until I do. And so here it is, much to my chagrin... I kid you not, if you mixed these three characters - their looks and their personalities - you would totally have me. Frankie Heck from The Middle (Someone once told me I looked like her, when I was a lot younger. Actually, it was when she was in Everybody Loves Raymond , but we're both a lot older now. And I was told once I looked like Winona Ryder, for a split second. Ah, to be young again!) Bard...